The Jewish Newcomers Program is designed to assist newcomers through their transition to the Greater New Orleans area, help them feel at home and welcome in our Jewish community, and encourage them to stay and settle long-term in New Orleans. The program offers a variety of social, professional and membership benefits to introduce newcomers to the Jewish community.
The Jewish community of Greater New Orleans dates back more than 250 years and continues to thrive to this day, with Jews of all denominations collaborating closely to ensure a vibrant and engaged future. Branded by The Jewish Week as the “new mecca of tikkun olam [repairing the world],” the Greater New Orleans Jewish community offers both a rich history and a fresh and youthful approach to communal life - from JNOLA to Moishe House to AVODAH. Our mid-sized community offers all of the benefits of a large city with the hospitality of a small town - with kosher dining options, a Jewish community day school, two Jewish Community Centers and nine synagogues to explore.
Social and networking events help newcomers meet others and community leaders and build personal and professional connections within the Jewish community. Whether they are looking for a place to celebrate Shabbat or need advice on restaurants or places to live, the Jewish Newcomers Program is here to help newcomers transition, feel at home and become active members of the New Orleans Jewish community.
• Discounted First Year Memberships to the Jewish Community Center
• Complimentary One Year Memberships provided by the National Council of Jewish Women and Hadassah
• Financial assistance towards tuition at the Jewish Community Day School
• Discount coupons to local restaurants and businesses
• Social events, professional networking opportunities, enriching and educational programs, and community service opportunities to introduce newcomers to each other and representatives from area agencies, synagogues and businesses
• General support and outreach
*Please note that there is no automatic entitlement to these benefits. All benefits are dependent upon the applicant's eligibility, to be decided on a case-by-case basis by the Jewish Federation of Greater New Orleans.
Interested in learning more about the Jewish Newcomers Program? Call 504-780-5604.